Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Raymond Douglas Ihrke

(This is my little sister Suzee's Birth Announcement, I think little miss K Ray looks like her!!!)



I just wanted to write s small little something about Kynley Ray's grandpa, my dad, Raymond Douglas Ihrke.

My dad sadly passed away 17 years ago today....I honestly cant believe it has been that long. For those of you who don't know he died of a heart attack at the young age of 46. The story of how he passed is quite an unusual one.

My dad, among many things (construction company owner, auto shop owner, demolition car driver, mad doctor at the Des Moines haunted house... this list goes on) was a pilot. Not a commercial pilot, but he had his license and he owned a small cessna plane he lovingly called "Michelle". (If you ever want a good laugh ask Shanyn how it felt when she got her leg ran over by it!) My mom and dad would joke that she was his mistress because he was always spending time with her. Anyways, on March 20th 1996 my dad and his best friend Lee decided to go out flying for the afternoon. While they were up in the air my dad had a massive heart attack and died immediately. Lee, who had no experience flying, had to try and land the plane by himself. It was a float plane which is meant to land on water, but Lee want to try and get my dad help as fast as he could so he landed it on land. Miraculously Lee walked away with a few bumps and bruises, but my dad was gone.

Looking back on that day I remember that last time I said good bye to him, the moment my mom told me he was gone and me not really understanding completely what that meant at the young age of 9. This story made national news and I remember the news crews coming and knocking on our door wanting to talk to our family, and them following us from my dad's funeral back to my grandma's house to get to speak to my mom. Crazy crazy things to deal with at 9 years old. He was such an amazing daddy.

Lucky for us the story gets better. My mom married Bill, one of my dads friends (the most amazing step dad ever) and from it came our youngest sister Falyn. (and don't you dare try and call her our half sister, she isn't, she is full ;) ) I think it's all about the way you look at things, looking at the positive in the situation.

As I have gotten older I think his death has been harder to deal with when it comes to big life events like getting married and having a baby. I just keep reminding myself he is here in spirit and can see everything that is happening.  As far as little miss Kynley Ray, I am certain my dad sent her to me. Sometimes she makes face and I can totally see my dad in her, and other times I swear she looks just like my dads mom (My grandma Lillian, another one who I wish was here to see us grow up, she was my favorite and SO FUNNY). I think Kynley has her hands and beautiful fingernails.

I think going through something like that teaches you things that no one else can understand. I hope to try and teach Kynley the lessons I have learned from these life events without her ever having to experience anything like it. I want to teach her to appreciate everything and everyone in her life. Love deeply and not to be afraid to show the love she has. And cherish your family. I see so many people who take their family members for granted and it makes me so sad. I remember growing up and always being so jealous of people who got to call someone "dad" or "daddy", now my little princess has an AMAZING Daddy. She is so lucky ;)

In our wedding ceremony one of the things that was said was to "Say I love you everyday", that is something that I do in my marriage and in my family. Never get off the phone without saying it, no matter how mad you are. I am going to teach Kynley this, and hope she understands the importance of it.
My daddy and I


Grandma Lillian, one of my crazy memories of her is always stealing tic tacs from her purse during church and when she was trying to get your attention she would call you every name but your own...Shanyn! Suzee! Falyn!!!...i mean REYNA!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment