Search This Blog

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Broccoli Cheddar Soup!


OK, so this is not something I would normally blog about. However, when I initially made this blog I did intend to blog different recipe's as I love to cook! After making this soup earlier in the week and having my husband talk about it for days and days, I decided to take the time and share it!

We have always been big fans of broccoli cheddar soup. It was the soup served at our wedding that we specially requested from the chef at the Four Seasons. Their soup was much better than this, but this is close enough for me! I made it again last night just to work out a few of the kinks from the original recipe, and Kynley ate two bowls! I am telling you it is addictive. Since it is freezing over here in Aussieland, it is the perfect "keep warm by the fire" meal :)

This will make enough for 4 people approx. OR two with some left overs! The original recipe is from the US so I had to do a lot of changes, as well as double it. It was barely enough for each of us to have a full serving. Here we go...

(Aussie Version)
  • 2 tablespoon (30g) butter
  • 1 medium chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup (65 g) butter
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 cups Thickened cream
  • 2 cups milk
  • 4 cups chicken stock
  • 2 cups fresh broccoli 
  • 2 cups carrot, julienned, shredded or finely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 2 cups grated tasty  cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste

(USA Version)
  • 2 tablespoon butter
  • 1 medium chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 4 cups half & half
  • 4 cups chicken stock
  • 2 cups fresh broccoli 
  • 2 cups carrot, julienned, shredded or finely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste

Instructions.....

Chop and saute onions in 2tbs of butter, set aside. 


In a large pot whisk together the melted butter and flour over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes, making a rue.


Gradually whisk in Milk, Cream, (or just half and half for usa) and Chicken stock until no more lumps from the flour can be seen. Let simmer for 20 mins.

Chop, broccoli and carrots to desired thickness. Add to soup base.

Let simmer for 25 mins until broccoli and carrots are tender. Add in nutmeg, cheese, salt & pepper!
Have assistant wake up from nap and insist on participating


OPTIONAL: I don't like my soup very chunky, so I like to give it a quick second in the food processor so it is a bit smoother. My husband prefers his chunky so it is up to you :)


Serve with fresh bread and ENJOY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment