Search This Blog

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Golden Crib


*crib is a cot in Australia, cot is a crib in America, I jump back and forth between the two haha sorry for making it confusing*
So for baby #2 I decided I wanted to go with a pink and gold theme! And like any normal person these days, I started scowering Pinterest for nursery ideas. In doing so, fell in love with the idea of painting a crib/cot gold. Now, I am not a DIY person. People who DIY are usually patient and meticulous, which I am neither, but I decided to give it a shot and see how it went. 

In the US they have all of these gorgeous vintage cribs you can get for next to nothing on Craig's list, so I went on to Australia's closest thing, Gumtree, to have a look at what cots I could find. 

Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything the remotely looked like these beautiful cots I saw from the US, so I decided to just but a new cheap one and figure it out on my own. I decided on an ikea cot because A. It was cheap, and B. I didn't have to sand it. Pure laziness. It is called the sniglar and it just plain wood with no varnish or anything. And for $99 it was the right price incase my gold idea didn't pan out and I had to try again haha
I did a ton if research online for how to paint a crib gold. It turns out the best way is with spray paint. So off I went to the hardware store to get the right paint and the rest of the supplies I needed.
We had a few sunny days in winter so I decided to do it then so the crib would have time to dry properly...here was my process...please don't mind my super attractive attire...
Safety first!
The hands got painted too...
This was about a month ago, so my belly was a lot smaller than it is now :) 

It took us a while to finally start to get her nursery underway so we could set up the cot, but I am happy to say it is done!! I can't show you the finished product yet as I don't think it looks right without her whole room being finished, but I am pretty happy with it. I am going to make a crib skirt and put some bite guards on it before I can see my vision coming together...but at least it is set up in her room! Woo hoo!

Here is her big sister testing it out making sure it is safe :) 

I can't wait to share the finished product once the whole nursery is finished. Now I just have to decide if I buy new white furniture for the rest of the room, or get some second hand stuff to put gold accents on....seriously I am the most indecisive pregnant lady ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment