Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Loaded Baked Potato Soup


Be still my fat pregnant heart.....this soup is what dreams are made of....anything that includes bacon and cheese is already automatically a favourite of mine, but then add in potatoes and onions YUM! It is basically like drinking a baked potato stuffed with your favourite toppings....maybe not drinking because that sounds gross, but you get what I mean.

We are having some crazy stormy weather in Adelaide tonight, so I figured it was the perfect time to make this comfort dish to keep us warm! After reading the ingredients you may be thinking fatty, fatty, fat, fat your fat...but let me tell you it's worth it...so worth it. And since I'm only preggo for about another 8 weeks I am going to indulge in as much fatty food as I can within reason. Did I mention I discovered a large pretzel shaped donut today????!!! Hang on I am getting side tracked...that donut needs a post of it's own...

Back to the soup....Here is the recipe, I have changed a few things after totally and completely ruining it the first time by scorching the bottom of my pot with potato...I think I have almost made it idiot proof...or Reyna proof...so good luck!

3 Large Potatoes (Like big the size of your fist or hand, picture below) peeled and cubed
4 or 5 slices of bacon diced OR a package of pre diced bacon
5 tbs butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 1/2 cups milk or more as needed
1 large white or red onion OR 2 green onions
1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (depending on how cheesy you like it, we like it EXTRA cheesy!)
1/2 cup of sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste


Bring water to a boil in a large pot, peel and cube potatoes, add to water and boil until potatoes are soft and will easily mash (15-20mins?), drain set aside (use same pot for soup)

While the potatoes are boiling, take the bacon and cook in skillet. I like to cook it until it is as crispy as possible, but I am american and love crispy bacon, so it's up to you. Once cooked to your liking, transfer to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.


This part is up to you...for the onion all I had today was red onion, the recipe normally calls for green onion....chop and sauté in same skillet as you cooked the bacon. You can add a little bit of olive oil if needed, but the flavour of the bacon will cook into the onion and be amazing....yes it is fatty, but I warned you this is a fatty recipe. You can use a different skillet with just olive oil or butter...it is up to you. Cook until translucent. Set aside

Melt butter in your large pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 min. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, 1-2mins. Stir in potatoes and onions.



Cook over a medium heat, continuously stirring so the potato doesn't stick top the bottom and burn. Cook about 5-10 mins. Once soup is thick and potato has broken down (if potato hasn't fully broken down use a masher and mash it. It will help thinker soup as well) add in bacon, cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper to taste.
 Tex making sure he doesn't waste any of the soup on the potato masher....

 Kynley LOVED the soup...she kept licking her bowl...success!

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment